Monday, March 12, 2012

Renfrew Top Take 2

A few weeks ago (or there abouts) I got around to making another version of the Renfrew Top from Sewaholic Patterns (to see the first version click here).  I really like "V" neck tops, I have always thought they look nicer on me than the "rounded" neckline. I have actually made 2 versions of the "V" neck. 

The first V neck I made in size 6 (no pictures sorry as it made in the same fabric) but I must have been tired when tracing because when I was making this version and comparing pattern pieces I realized that the waistband was a size 4. Although the first V neck is wearable and fits, I prefer version 2 (pictures below).

In both versions I had some difficulty sewing the "point" of the V. I figure next time I might baste it into position first, to stop any slight shifting when sewing the band on. You can see in the close up below that they are just a bit off centre.


Although I have an overlocker I still prefer to sew the Renfrew on my sewing machine, using the overlocker to finish the seam allowances only.
I know there has been a post or two out in blogland saying that the zigzag stitch looks a little homemade but I have no objections. I used the zigzag detail on all the bands for strength and a more consistent look.


This version is a size 8 and loose enough for my liking.



I did try to take some photos of myself wearing this version, but was not keen on the results. Next time perhaps?

This fabric is just a plain Jersey knit from spotlight. I picked up a large quantity for $2.50 a metre so expect to see the next few Renfrew tops in the same fabric. As Winter is on the way I will most likely experiment with a 3 quarter sleeve and possibly the cowl neck version.


No comments:

Post a Comment