Sunday, February 19, 2012

Minoru Progress Report

Finally a progress report on my Minoru. I have uploaded a few quick pics taken about a week or so ago. Since then I have finished the cuffs and today I have completed Sewaholic step 13, as per Tasia's blog post.

As you can (sort of) see the collar zip and a lined version of the hood are all systems go. I did have a small hiccup with the hood zipper. I originally brought a dress zipper for the hood thinking I wanted something discreet. However, after sewing the cut out window I realised that my zip just wasn't going to fit. The dress zip was too narrow and somehow too short. I am pretty sure that this error is somehow my fault and most likely not a pattern fault as it is the first time I have ever done this. I ended up using the zip that I had purchased for the front of the jacket, just adjusting the length. I was happy with the end look but cranky with myself when I tried to find a replacement zip the same. I had purchased the zip at the Fabric Store and was unlikely to get a chance to go back there any time soon. I went to all my locals but no luck, there is a long story about how I came to find the exact replacement but I fear it is too boring to tell. So, the short version goes something like this .... I have a new zipper!!!! Yay.


Here is a photo of the heroic replacement zipper in all its basted glory (kindly modelled by Snow White the dress form).

I really love this pattern and get more and more excited about it as time goes by (imagine what I will be like when I finally finish it) but from the outset I was really hoping to get some external pocket action happening. Tasia put up this post  directing us to Amy of Sew Well's tutorial  for adding side seam pockets. I took the detour and was very happy with the outcome. Amy even provides a download for the pattern pockets so you can get moving with the sewing and not cry at the thought of drafting your own. The pockets were super easy to sew in and the tutorial was extremely clear to follow.

Amy does suggest using the lining fabric as fabric for the pockets but I am a little rough with pockets and wanted something strong. I ended up just using the outer fabric. Here you can see how discreet they are.

As I said I am now very much further along than this but I will have to save that update for later in the week.

Happy Sewing!
Dana




No comments:

Post a Comment